Facing the Red Soldiers - July 4th

Before leaving Oakland I had a chance to speak with the two current Project Managers (PM’s), Sherie and Sabah. In our conversation they requested that we bring s’mores supplies from the States, and on my second night in Meheba we decided to have a bonfire in the courtyard and utilize those supplies. It was the 4th of July and we thought a bonfire could be our fireworks and would be a great time to relax and hear Sherrie and Saba’s stories about Meheba from the past year. We listened to music (the PM’s were so happy to have two new music libraries in the house) and celebrated Independence.

A short time into our celebration the guards came to the gate and called for Sherie and Sabah. He proceeded to tell Sherie that the red soldiers were coming.... questions flooded my brain as I tensed at the thought of soldiers coming to our house. Sherie seemed just as confused by this term and looked as startled as I was. The guard brought Sherie out of the gate to look at the situation, when it became clear that Red Soldiers were not armed militia men, but were the very real and threatening carnivorous ants...and they were headed straight for our compound! Think Indiana Jones and you’ll have the right insects. We had heard that pouring boiling water on them had worked in other FORGE camps, but there were too many for the amount of water we already had boiled from dinner. The guards however were already set to work creating a perimeter of leaves and brush to light on fire. While we stood there amazed at the swarm and pouring water on the ambitious ants that made it past the brush piles, the guards set fire to the brush. In a matter of minutes the ants were destroyed or diverted and the compound was saved from the Red Soldiers!

How the guards knew the ants were there in the pitch blackness of night and were able to catch them before they got to the walls of the compound, I have no idea, but I think I will soon learn that the local people here have more knowledge about nature than I will ever hope to understand. Sabah once mentioned that Nature will run our lives here in Meheba, from eating only what is in season, to rain storms dictating freedom of movement, to animals and insects interrupting a perfectly nice 4th of July bonfire. I actually look forward to learning more about nature and being closer to the earth. We eat only fresh food that is in season at the time, and the sky here is unlike anything you can imagine.

While there may be some challenges, I’d actually say that freeing our compound from the Red Soldiers and watching the blaze set by the guards was one of the best possible ways to celebrate the 4th. Take that red soldiers...let freedom ring!! :)

4 comments:

Elle said...

You're the cutest! I hope that you guys don't have adventures like that all of the time, but like you said, it was kind of a neat way to claim your independence! I miss you so much, I am so jealous that mom and dad get to see you next week!! LOVE YOU! ~elle

Anonymous said...

JZ,

I guess they should have told you to bring a big ole can of Raid along with the s'mores! I'll bet those little critters smelled your s'mores operation and wanted to try one out.
Very funny story. I hope that is the worst of the things to come.

Stay safe,

Barry Williams

Josh said...

Holy crap!

-Josh

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this story...too funny! I can't wait to read it to Caden when I get home...he's going to get such a kick out of it. It's almost Night at the Museum type stuff out there! If only it all froze down at sunrise. =)

Keep up the great work!
Lyndsey Jensen